Congratulations. You've been invited to be a Reviewer on Calibrate. At this moment, you probably have three questions:
What is Calibrate?
Calibrate is a cloud-based software application designed to empower educators to meet the needs of business and industry by helping them identify the skills employers need from the graduates they hire. The vehicle used to identify the skills is a Job Profile.
What is a Job Profile?
A Job Profile is the collection of skills needed for a specific occupation. Job Profiles enable Job Profile Editors (typically from academia) and Job Profile Reviewers (that's you) to collaborate on an occupation's current and future skill requirements. There are four skill types in a Job Profile:
- Work Activities (hard skills) - Describe how units of time are organized on the job.
- Knowledge Domains - Principles, bodies of content and facts generally applied within academic domains.
- Soft Skills - Specific behaviors, interpersonal skills, character or personality traits, attitudes and the social and emotional intelligence needed to succeed.
- Tools & Technologies - Categories and specific examples of machines, equipment, software and technologies used on the job.
What is a Reviewer?
From a very high level, the Job Profile creation process looks like this:
If you've been invited to review a Job Profile, that means one or more Editors have already created a Job Profile (a collection of skills) and they want two things from you: 1) your feedback as to how important (or unimportant) each of the skills they’ve chosen is to that Job Profile and 2) suggestions for skills they may have overlooked when creating the Job Profile.
What does a Reviewer do?
The first thing you’ll do is login to Calibrate using the link in the email invite and activate your account. This will automatically take you to the Job Profile you’re being asked to review.
Next, you’ll see a list of skills in the Job Profile broken out by the four skill types mentioned above. You’ll go through the list of skills examining every one, and based on your professional experience, assign each skill one of four different values depending on how necessary you think that skill is for that Job Profile. The four values you can assign a skill are as follows:
- Critical: assign it this value if the skill is absolutely critical to the Job Profile
- Important: assign it this value if the skill is needed for job success
- Beneficial: assign it this value if the skill is useful but not required
- Irrelevant: assign it this value if the skill is not needed for the Job Profile
Finally, as you go through the list, if you think there's a skill that's missing from the list, you’ll add it to the list and assign it one of the four values above.
That's it. That's all you do. Go through the list of skills and assign it one of four values and suggest missing skills.
For more details, and to view the step-by-step instructions for reviewing a Job Profile, see the Review a Job Profile User Guide.
Ready to get started?
Here’s a quick checklist you can use to review a Job Profile:
- Login to Calibrate
- Activate your account
- Review each Work Activity and assign it a value
- Suggest an overlooked Work Activity and assign it a value
- Review each Knowledge Domain and assign it a value
- Suggest an overlooked Knowledge Domain and assign it a value
- Review each Soft Skill and assign it a value
- Suggest an overlooked Soft Skill and assign it a value
- Review each Tools & Technology and assign it a value
- Suggest an overlooked Tool or Technology and assign it a value
- Complete the review