Last Updated: March 2020
What is Calibrate?
Calibrate is an application designed to empower educators to meet the needs of business and industry by helping them identify the skills employers need from the graduates they hire.
Why is Calibrate needed?
In a recent study, 96% of Chief Academic Officers believed they were doing a good job preparing students for the workforce, but only one in three business leaders agreed. Calibrate solves that problem by aligning what industry needs and what institutions teach.
How does Calibrate Help?
Calibrate guides curriculum development through the validation of Job Profiles. Educators create a Job Profile to identify the skills required for an occupation. They then invite employers, like you, to review and provide feedback on the skills within that Job Profile. Your feedback allows educators to align their curriculum with employer-validated skills.
What is a Job Profile?
Job Profiles are comprised of the skills associated with a specific occupation. They serve as a vehicle in which educators and employers collaborate to evaluate an occupation's current and future skill requirements. There are four types of skills in a Job Profile:
- Work Activities (hard skills) - Describes how units of time are organized on the job.
- Knowledge Domains - Principles, bodies of content, and facts generally applied within academic domains.
- Soft Skills - Specific behaviors, interpersonal skills, character or personality traits, attitudes, and the social and emotional intelligence needed to succeed.
- Tools & Technologies - Categories and specific examples of machines, equipment, software, and technologies used on the job.
What are we asking you to do?
You have been invited into Calibrate to participate in an online review of one or more Job Profiles. Your role is to provide feedback on the skills in these Job Profile. The review process has three steps:
- Review the hard skills, knowledge domains, soft skills and tools & technologies included in the Job Profile
- Rate the skills by criticality and identify any irrelevant skills within the Job Profile
- Suggest additional skills that may be missing from the Job Profile
How does this benefit you?
As an employer, industry advisor or subject-matter expert, Calibrate gives you a voice to clearly communicate which skills meet the needs of your organization or industry. This is your opportunity to directly impact curriculum development by helping equip students with skills that matter.
Article is closed for comments.